08 Mar Find the Best Garage Doors for Your Home or Business
Your garage doors act as a mechanized gate keeper, separating you from the outside world through the click of a button. Although they appear a simple concept, there is a lot of working parts to a functioning garage door. In order to keep them functioning at peak performance, continue reading to learn more about garage doors.
A Brief History of Garage Doors
The concept of “housing your vehicle” in a concealed location has been around for hundreds of years. The first kinds of garage doors were attached to carriage houses. Using a hinge and wheel system, these garage doors were not as convenient as they are today. If you wanted to get into your carriage house back then, you had to lift up the heavy doors yourself. Additionally, these doors were fair weathered and had to be frequently repaired and replaced. Flash forward a couple hundred years, you now have endless options for custom garage doors, from the materials they are made of, to how accessible they are, to security features and so much more!
Garage Door FAQ’s
What are the Different Types of Garage Doors Out There?
Modern technology has allowed us to customize how our garage doors open and here are a few of the most popular ways:
- Sectional Garage Doors: This is the most common type of opening system for garage doors. Using a hinge system, as the doors go up, the different sections of the doors bend and fold into each other until they have folded into your garage ceiling.
- Roll-Up Garage Doors: Less common, these doors are made of flexible material that allow the doors to curl around a barrel at the top of the garage. This process is similar to rolling up a poster, but a much heavier one!
- Slide to the Side Garage Doors: Operating similarly to sliding glass doors you may find leading out to a patio, these doors slide into the panels of the walls in your garage. Great for garages with lower ceilings !
- Side Hinged Garage Doors: These doors work like barn doors as they open outwards from the sides using a hinge system. The hinges can be customized to allow the doors to swing either inwards or outwards, depending on your preference.
Choosing the Right Garage Door Material
The material your garage doors are made of not only impact your home’s curb appeal, but also how well they function. Here is a list of common garage door materials:
- Wood Garage Doors: Though energy efficient and beautiful to admire, this material is not best for regions that experience inclement weather such as snow and hail.
- Aluminum Garage Doors: This material can survive a Midwest winter and pass with flying colors. Durable, sturdy and resistant to warping, aluminum makes a great choice.
- Steel Garage Doors: Low maintenance and extremely customizable, this material can also withstand harsh weather as it is made from a material that is close to invincible.
Garage Door Replacement and Repair – How to Know When It’s Time
A good rule of thumb when it comes to knowing what kind of garage door maintenance you’re in need of is the 5 and 15 rule. If you’re experiencing issues with your garage door and it’s only 5 years old, have it repaired. 15 years later and your garage door is locking you out of your house or inviting strangers into your home because the doors won’t stay closed, it’s time for a replacement. If you are still unsure, call Glenn’s Garage Doors to further assess the situation and make a decision on how to proceed. It’s important to have an expert’s opinion in this situation to not only ensure you aren’t investing more money then you need to, but also for the safety of you and others.
Make the Best Decision for Your Garage Doors and Call Glenn’s Today!